Easy banana bread recipe for a delicious treat with a cup of tea, requiring only 10 simple ingredients.
Do not open the oven door to check if the bread is baked, as it will cause your bread to collapses. I suggest you switch the oven light on and look through the glass door to check if the bread is ready
- Butter / margarine (6 oz / 175 grams)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- 6 bananas
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups of plain or whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of Vanilla Essence (optional)
- Start with pre-heating your oven to 140C / 300F.
- Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- The butter (cold from the fridge, chopped into cubes) mixed with the sugar, milk, bananas (preferably ripe bananas), eggs and a few drops of Vanilla Essences (optional).
- Then add the sieved dry ingredients (flour, salt, bicarb soda, baking powder) to the wet mixture in the bowl and mix well.
- Place mixture into 2 greased loaf pans (use spray or butter to grease), placing the pans on a tray, making it easier to manage in the oven.
- Bake in the oven at 140C / 300F for up to 1 to 1½ hours on the middle shelf.
- When the banana bread has a brown crust on top, start checking after 1 hour (depending on your oven).
- Take the tray with banana bread out of the oven and place on a surface to check if baked through - remember to close the oven door to keep the heat whilst checking.
- Make a hole in the middle of the bread to check if well baked, using a knitting needle (or thin knife).
- If the needle gets stuck then the bread is not baked through - place back into the oven for a few more minutes, checking every 10 minutes.
- The baking time can vary between 1 to 1½ hours, depending on your pans and oven.
- This recipe makes 2 banana loafs, or 1 large and 1 medium loaf depending on your pan size.
- Halfing the recipe to make 1 loaf is also possible.
- When the bread is a few days old, you can cut it into thick slices and toast it in a toaster - delicious with butter spread on top.
- Store the banana bread in the fridge.